Saturday, January 4, 2014

2014 plans and decisions

I admit, I'm bringing in the ubiquitous New Year's post a bit late, and I totally failed on the yearly recap, which is fine because 2013 wasn't a year of monumental change.  I can't believe that I'm making that statement since buying a house did take up tons of mental energy, but really, our lives seemed only to shift into different patterns.  We frequent another farmers' market, have discovered a wonderful pizza place, but mainly we just learned new routes to get to our mainstays.  I would say the same thing about work - nothing major there even though there have been changes.  Some of these shifts have been rather difficult, I can't deny that, perhaps the result of growing pains or of a friendship that has grown distant, but with change, there seems to be both gain and loss.

The lack of dramatic ups and downs and crazy changes did have one effect - it pushed me to think about making a long-term, sometime-in-the-future goal more immediate.  For a while, I had been thinking of 2015 as the year that I would try to take on the full iron distance.  But then the summer came around and the Ironman Corporation announced that there would be a full iron distance in Boulder in 2015 and I was tempted.  That announcement came right before Vineman, and I asked Michael that, if I went sub-6, could I register for a full?  Well, I came close to a sub-6 but not close enough, however the idea had certainly taken root.  And, so, in August, after many conversations and much back and forth with myself and with him, I finally registered for Ironman Coeur d'Alene!  My first reaction after receiving my "Congratulations, you've signed up for..." email was to throw up, due both to the amount of money that I had just spent with the click of that button and to the reality that holy crap, I had signed up for an full iron distance tri!

For a few months, I mainly sat with the idea of taking on such a distance and tried to maintain a decent level of fitness but I didn't do too much (great motto - "don't do too much with your life").  Finally, I recommitted to a more 'rigorous' schedule in November, and then in December I started to work with a coach.  The decision to work with someone came hand-in-hand with the decision to register for a longer distance tri.  While I've had good experiences at the shorter and slightly longer distance courses, this is a different beast.  Also, I figured that I would dump way too many anxieties, frustrations and stress on my better half if I attempted this solo.  Finally, it's a long, hard haul even to the start line, let alone the finish line, and I decided that it would be a benefit to have all the help I could.  So, last month was a base month - get back to training.

Now that January has arrived, the reality of lining up for my first ironman is still an idea that's in the future, but the more immediate one, especially after I counted the weeks between now and then (about 26) and realized that June will be here before I know it!  I'm still nervous about this process but also curious to see what the training will be like, how will I deal with it, will I stay healthy, when will I have a major melt-down, and those thoughts don't even include the actual race!

Needless to say, it should be an interesting year for me and I'm looking forward to it!

8 comments:

kilax said...

Awesome awesome awesome! I am so excited you are doing that one! I have heard fab things about it :)

erin said...

So fantastic! I've heard nothing but good things about CdA from friends who've race it. Excited to follow your training!

Kristina said...

Kim - I'm excited too but a bit freaked out!

Erin - I admit that if I had known about the date change for Whistler (to mid-July rather than end of August), I probably would have opted for that one, but I've heard such good things about CdA and liked the timing.

mindful mule said...

I guess I'm no longer worthy to comment on this Full Ironman! blog so I'll just wish you the best of luck.

Kristina said...

Rob - Don't be silly! And I have a LOT of work to do before there is any sort of "full ironman" nonsense.

mindful mule said...

I guess we should probably run the LA Marathon in March then.

mindful mule said...

Oh crap, just looked up LAM - it's the day after Solvang - even better!

Kristina said...

Yes - LA Marathon - just what I want for the spring! Especially if it's the day after Solvang (which I'm still contemplating, by the way! I just have to convince my better half that it's a great idea!).