Friday, August 13, 2010

The "World Traveller" is almost home!

To me, the term "world traveller" evokes a cosmopolitan and intrepid individual, and I don't quite attribute either of these adjectives to myself. I think of people in the early decades of the 20th Century with huge trunks as they undertake an epic trip across the world, or of an Edmund Hillary-type-adventurer, ready to explore "unknown" lands in a continent further away than the European one. However, according to my British Airlines boarding pass, I can consider myself to be a European AND a World traveler. Woo-hoo!
While the more exciting leg of the trip has ended, I am not quite home, sweet home. Still, I have had enough time back in the States to recover from jetlag but find that the Colorado altitude continues to drag me down a bit. Ah well, I will be back to sea level quite soon! After four weeks away from the comforts of home and the joy of being with our dogs, I am rather anxious to return.
Still, this is a quick update about my almost-epic trip which I can easily sum up in one word: FABULOUS, as my good friend in Paris would say. Or, if I want to use a phrase, I think that I would go so far as to say: Maybe, just maybe, the best trip EVER.
It definitely fits the description of a "trip" and NOT a "vacation", but we did balance good family/friend time, tourist-y sites, long and short walks, excellent food and some major naps.
A few highlights that come to mind:
- Spending time in Northwest Spain, particularly in the "Costa Verde" (Green Coast), the area composed of the regions of Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria and the PaĆ­s Vasco. Michael kept repeating, "We are NOT in Spain", feeling a bit like Dorothy and her Kansas vs. Oz experience, except that we were in Spain, just not the stereotypical vision of it. Seriously, we found ourselves in the midst of an international Celtic festival in Spain!
- Paris, Paris and more Paris.
- The markets in France and the abundance of cheese, bread, fruit and other tasty items and treats.
- The rolling hills, winding roads, castles and the wine caves of the Loire valley, a place that I've always wanted to visit and finally have!
- The Brittnay coast and its amazing scenery, crepes, pain au raisins, and mussels. Plus, the menhirs! So cool!
- Staying up far too late as we ate, drank and conversed!

More to come...

3 comments:

Jaya said...

That sounds awful! Just terrible! You poor soul!
Seriously though, I cannot wait to hear you elaborate on these amazing places! I hope the rest of your travels are safe and that you recover adequately from post-Europe depression (or avoid it altogether). That bug always seems to get me :/
You have been missed!!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jaya that the post-Europe depression is something to contend with! But I can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Kim said...

Wow, it sounds like an amazing trip. I hope you post some pictures ;) I'm sure you're glad to be headed home after 4 weeks away. I'm sure you made some great memories over there though!