Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Home sweet home!

It seems that I have 'travel fatigue'.
So much for being worldly and "peripatetic". After getting up at 4:50 am to catch a train in Rhode Island into Boston and then taking the T to the airport and then flying from Boston to LA via Kansas City and finally fighting with traffic for about 45 minutes (not that bad, I suppose, considering that "Carmaggedon" is coming!), we were both MORE than ready to walk into our home, greeted by two ecstatically wagging tails. The trip was great but exhausting because we were on the move so much - DC, Delaware for me, NYC and Rhode Island in just under 2 weeks. It didn't seem overly ambitious when we originally set the schedule, but by the time Friday morning rolled around and we were on yet another train, this time headed to Westerly, RI, we both felt slightly frayed around the edges.
It wasn't just feeling that we were constantly on the move that exhausted us. When we returned last night, Michael identified that he was tired of visiting with people with his statement that he was looking forward to not socializing. I hadn't given much thought to it, but then I realized that he was right - for every single night of the trip, we spent time with friends and family (or I spent it with workshop colleagues). Don't get me wrong, it was lovely to see people and catch up - especially for Michael who was able to see friends from his New York days.
I think, however, that we both enjoyed a night to sit in front of the TV and watch mindless crap, eat a huge homemade salad, and talk about and to the dogs.
I also jumped for joy when we looked at the temperature as we landed at LAX - low 70's! I walked outside and almost kissed the dirty sidewalk because I didn't break out into an immediate sweat even though I was wearing jeans and a long-sleeve t-shirt.
Oh, California, it is so good to be back! Maybe I'll even consider myself a true Californian one of these days.

No comments: