Friday, January 22, 2010

Celebrations!

So, today's my birthday - Yeah! And I feel that I've been quite blessed with multiple celebrations and 'treats' over the past week. Last Saturday was sort of a "do-what-I-want-to-do" sort of a day. I did nothing that was school related - did not check email, open a book, dig into my bag, attend a sporting event. NADA!
That was my own present to myself.
Michael has been giving me little presents all week, but yesterday was the motherload. He totally spoils me with cool t-shirts, Prana gear, a sweater from Patagonia, and other fun items. A friend gave me lots of mini-cupcakes too, which I shared with a few people around here and then I took two of them home and Michael and I split them. They weren't the best cupcakes I've ever had, but they were awfully cute. I'm not sure if I really get the whole cupcake obsession that seems to have taken hold of so many people. Still, it was a thoughtful present, I enjoyed sharing them with friends and splitting two of them with Michael. It worked out quite well.
Someone asked me what the occasion was for the cupcakes. In the past, I think I would have made up a creative explanation, not wanting to share the news about my birthday, but I opted for honesty this time. He asked me, "How old are you going to be?" and I answered, "28". The number seriously just popped out of my mouth because, well, I'm not turning 28 but THIRTY EIGHT! Yes, I shaved ten years off my life. I burst out laughing and confessed my total slip-up. It made me realize that as much as I like celebrating my birthday with Michael, I think the number "3 - 8" kind of bothers me. Last year was fine, but wow. I feel like I'm looking down the barrels of forty. Shew.
Despite some reluctance or resentment toward the number, I'll survive.
Anyway, the big birthday present is coming today - a friend who moved away last summer and is living in Paris decided to come back to the States to visit her parents in Chicago AND she is coming to the LA area tonight! Weather permitting, of course, since it's still just dumping and dumping, and I've doubted whether she will make it in at a decent hour or not.
Michael is pretty wonderful to share my birthday with this friend. Mind you, he'll enjoy her visit too, so it will be a fun weekend for all.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Happy Birthday to you! Have a great time with your friend :) Hopefully there's no rain this weekend!