Thursday, January 21, 2010

"Chac Mool" - God of rain


Like everyone else in the entire state of CA, I'm a bit saturated with the rain and water and lugubrious weather. Yes, I've grown completely accustomed to the SoCal sunshine, and the generally mild temperatures have spoiled me.

That said, I have found some personal and professiona enjoyment in the rain. In one of the classes I teach, we are reading Carlos Fuentes' story, "Chac Mool". Chaac Mool is the Mayan god of rain, and this is the connection that Fuentes makes. In the story, the protagonist, Filiberto, buys himself a statue of Chac Mool which not only comes to life but also causes torrential rains and flooding in Mexico City and his house.

Is it coincidence that we are reading this story while a series of storms hits the entire state of California?

One has to wonder...

No comments: